Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   4444 views

Description

Here's my plan for my first char of D2R (and possibly my main due to time restrictions).

A bow-focused Amazon with
Freezing Arrow
as main attack, and
Exploding Arrow
for cold immunes. Full Mavs set for gear, with Harmony on switch.
Geared up with lots of MF (of course). I intend to do MF runs either solo or around ~P3. This will be a very fast-moving build due to
Vigor
from Harmony (required for efficient MFing, since no Enigma).

Please leave feedback / suggestions!
GEAR

Most importantly: Act 2 Might Aura mercenary with Insight weapon -- unlimited mana. Mavs does significantly less cold damage than say, a twinked build based on the Ice runeword and Infinity merc, so we will be firing more volleys and need lots and lots of mana.

Full Mavs Set
Switch: Harmony in a
Matriarchal Bow
Ammy: Highlords (no question)
Ring:
Raven Frost
(no question)
Ring: BK? Rare dual leech?
Boots
:
War Traveler
(no question)
Sockets
Mavs Bow:
Ist

Mavs
Diadem
: PTopaz
Mavs Armor: PTopaz
SKILLS

Max
Freezing Arrow
and its one synergy
Max
Exploding Arrow
and its one synergy
1 in
Magic Arrow
Multiple Shot
, and
Guided Arrow
(situational)
1 in
Decoy

1 in
Penetrate
(elemental bow skills actually have great AR, unlike
Strafe
/ multi)
Enough in
Pierce
for ~90% (we don't have
Razortail
with full Mavs)
Prereqs
Rest in
Critical Strike
(a few)

Rationale:

These skills look SUPER fun to play with high
Pierce
% -- plenty of D2 videos showcasing pure cold Ice bowazons and it looks great. This will be less powerful but more versatile, safe, etc.
This build looks like it requires actual skill and tact to perform its best. Lining up enemies to get the most out of
Pierce
Mavs gives high res, +6 all skills, solid IAS, and MF. Can easily hit maxed Hell res with full Mavs. Can easily hit 9-frame attack breakpoint (with Mavs bow as well as with Harmony on switch if
Matriarchal Bow
).

Obviously, Mavs boosts cold damage pretty significantly (check out the gloves!!).

Harmony looks really fun, and REALLY fast obviously due to
Vigor
Revive
charges? Don't mind if I do! It will also have slightly higher physical and fire damage (from
Exploding Arrow
) than full Mavs -- so situationally I will actually attack with Harmony. If I start suffering elemental damage I can either run (very quickly) to a better position, or simply switch back to full Mavs for that 75% hell resistances.

I've read the
Dodge
Evade
, and Avoid skills cause more trouble than they're worth.
I've read
Decoy
can be even more effective than
Valkyrie
if used properly.
For both of these reasons, I won't go down that part of the passive tree at all. Harmony with other +skills gives ~level 12
Valkyrie
for free. Valk damage will be poor, and
Decoy
will be a better tank, but maybe still nice to have both, we'll see.

This build is affordable!
(Highlords could be pricey early on -- so just use any amulet and put a
Shael
in the Mavs bow at first, to hit the same attack speed breakpoints without Highlords)

Sick of starting as sorc every time I get back into D2!
Have never yet played a Zon seriously so this will be fun.

Thoughts?
Description by moonlit

Can be used to make Runewords:

Here's my plan for my first char of D2R (and possibly my main due to time restrictions).

Freezing Arrow
as main attack, and
Exploding Arrow
Geared up with lots of MF (of course). I intend to do MF runs either solo or around ~P3. This will be a very fast-moving build due to
Vigor

GEAR

Most importantly: Act 2 Might Aura mercenary with Insight weapon -- unlimited mana. Mavs does significantly less cold damage than say, a twinked build based on the Ice runeword and Infinity merc, so we will be firing more volleys and need lots and lots of mana.

Full Mavs Set
Matriarchal Bow
Ring:
Raven Frost
(no question)
Boots
:
War Traveler
(no question)
Sockets
Mavs Bow:
Ist

Mavs
Diadem
SKILLS

Max
Freezing Arrow
and its one synergy
Max
Exploding Arrow
and its one synergy
1 in
Magic Arrow
Multiple Shot
, and
Guided Arrow
(situational)
1 in
Decoy

1 in
Penetrate
Strafe
/ multi)
Enough in
Pierce
for ~90% (we don't have
Razortail
with full Mavs)
Prereqs
Rest in
Critical Strike
(a few)

Rationale:

Pierce
% -- plenty of D2 videos showcasing pure cold Ice bowazons and it looks great. This will be less powerful but more versatile, safe, etc.
This build looks like it requires actual skill and tact to perform its best. Lining up enemies to get the most out of
Pierce
Mavs gives high res, +6 all skills, solid IAS, and MF. Can easily hit maxed Hell res with full Mavs. Can easily hit 9-frame attack breakpoint (with Mavs bow as well as with Harmony on switch if
Matriarchal Bow
).

Obviously, Mavs boosts cold damage pretty significantly (check out the gloves!!).

Vigor
Revive
charges? Don't mind if I do! It will also have slightly higher physical and fire damage (from
Exploding Arrow
) than full Mavs -- so situationally I will actually attack with Harmony. If I start suffering elemental damage I can either run (very quickly) to a better position, or simply switch back to full Mavs for that 75% hell resistances.

I've read the
Dodge
Evade
I've read
Decoy
Valkyrie
if used properly.
For both of these reasons, I won't go down that part of the passive tree at all. Harmony with other +skills gives ~level 12
Valkyrie
Decoy

Shael
in the Mavs bow at first, to hit the same attack speed breakpoints without Highlords)

Thoughts?
I will say it seems like a fun idea, I agree making a MF sorc every time gets boring.

I'd say there are a few things that would worry me about the build:

1) Boss kills are going to be slow, as you are mostly elemental, they will have high resistance. You'll probably need to rely quite a bit on your merc

2) Until you get the full set, you are missing a lot of MF and resistance. Most of the set is relatively easy/cheap to come by. The armor will take some doing, but the
Diadem
is a pretty rare item, it might take some time to get your hands on one. Until then you'll be running around with ~100 MF. While not nothing, you combine that with a slower boss kills and running everywhere, you are only going to get a fraction of the # of runs in, with a fraction of the MF other classes can have.

3) You need to have at least a point into
Dodge
/
Evade
/avoid. M'avs will give you +6 to them, With what you've stated as your skill plans you'll still get that in the 70-80 range.

4) You'll be kind of lacking on LL since your only source will be a single ring.

All that being said, Bowazons are fun. Although I've never tried one as a mf character, so can't comment on how that'll work out. I'd just suggest going into it knowing there will be a fairly large gab in effectiveness vs the top mf builds.
Mav's
Helm
is also rare as fuck lol
Just some food for thought as well: there's the Fishyzon which can quicken boss killing quite a bit.
OP
Appreciate the feedback. It’s true bosses will be much slower than alternatives. But I’m planning to do a variety of large PvM runs up to lesser bosses, killing everything on the way and sprinting between mobs. targeting keys at first before I can afford all the Mavs pieces, then try Chaos and WSK.

This build should be very good for keys, especially
Arcane Sanctuary
since the monsters line up on the catwalks…incredible splash damage procs piercing through those lines. The wraiths in AS cannot drop weapons, armor, helms etc so they drop tons of jewels, charms, rings/ammys, gems — good early currency and stuff that can be valuable without much MF.
Bowzon as first character is brave :-) should be fun

NL 93 Summon Necro, 89 Hammerdin, 89 Fohdin, 88 Light sorc, 86 Blizz Sorc, 84 Smiter, 60+
Enchant
sorc

Ladder Necro, 2x Sorc, Hammer,
Enchant
etc

UTC +10, from Sydney, Australia Wolfie83#6920 & Cyric#31733
OP
Thanks for speccing it! Hmm maybe the
Ist
in Mavs bow is not worth it. Could just trade that
Ist
for a decent ED jewel, or cold facet.
moonlit wrote: 2 years ago

Freezing Arrow
as main attack, and
Exploding Arrow
Vigor

GEAR

Full Mavs Set
Matriarchal Bow
Ring:
Raven Frost
(no question)
Boots
:
War Traveler
(no question)
Sockets
Mavs Bow:
Ist

Mavs
Diadem
SKILLS

Max
Freezing Arrow
and its one synergy
Max
Exploding Arrow
and its one synergy
1 in
Magic Arrow
Multiple Shot
, and
Guided Arrow
(situational)
1 in
Decoy

1 in
Penetrate
Strafe
/ multi)
Enough in
Pierce
for ~90% (we don't have
Razortail
with full Mavs)
Prereqs
Rest in
Critical Strike
(a few)

Rationale:

Pierce
Pierce
Matriarchal Bow
).

Vigor
Revive
Exploding Arrow

I've read the
Dodge
Evade
I've read
Decoy
Valkyrie
if used properly.
Valkyrie
Decoy

Shael

Thoughts?
I’ve done a cold bowazon before, it’s one of my favorites. For pure mfing purposes you don’t even have to worry about physical damage, just get the hardest hitting
Freezing Arrow
you can and start farming
Ancient Tunnels
endlessly.

Before level 24 you can shop a staff with
Teleport
charges from
Ormus
in a3 normal, so you can tele a bit. This will open up farming meph if you know the durance 2 map.

Not worrying about physical you can focus on really easy but fun gear like a bow with 5 shaels, Edge, any other fast attacking bow or a Melody runeword in a +bow skills base for higher damage.

Mav’s set is great with this build. I’ve always wanted to try the Ice runeword too. Tons of fun to be had.

I’ve got a level 82
Freezing Arrow
/
Strafe
hybrid build on path of Diablo currently. I know it’s not the base game, but it’s a lot of fun.
OP
@havelox, nice. That’s the thing, there are so many solid untwinked options at every level and price tier. It’s basically a caster that happens to need a bow, which makes things a lot easier in some ways than the pure physical proc builds (Faith).

So cold immune aren’t too slow without
Exploding Arrow
option? I’m concerned about that, hence spending some resources on phys damage (Highlords, War Travs). But maybe I should avoid the PTopaz minor MF boost, and crank the damage with 3x cold facets? Minus enemy res is so huge especially without Infinity.
moonlit wrote: 2 years ago
@havelox, nice. That’s the thing, there are so many solid untwinked options at every level and price tier. It’s basically a caster that happens to need a bow, which makes things a lot easier in some ways than the pure physical proc builds (Faith).

So cold immune aren’t too slow without
Exploding Arrow
option? I’m concerned about that, hence spending some resources on phys damage (Highlords, War Travs). But maybe I should avoid the PTopaz minor MF boost, and crank the damage with 3x cold facets? Minus enemy res is so huge especially without Infinity.
There are no cold immunes in
Ancient Tunnels
, and the
Mausoleum
. Since this is for MF you don’t need to be good at clearing all of hell. You just need to be able to clear any of the lvl 85 areas.

If you can get to act 1 hell you are set for the
Mausoleum
, getting to act 2 you should be able to do it with a solid act 2 mercenary handling some of the cold immunes while skipping others. With that you are good to go, and can farm away.

I’ve had a lot of success with Edge on my Fury Druid. That has got me as far as act 2 hell, I wonder what a zon could do with it, because you will get a lot of extra Ed against undead/demons.

But yea a physicial/cold hybrid should be a workable build. If it were me I enjoy
Strafe
, just because it is similar to Fury/
Zeal
I have fun with it.

I also don’t know about the cold facets. Everyone and their mother is going to be a blizzard sorc, I bet cold facets will be incredibly expensive, I wouldn’t count on them too much in my build.
OP
havelox wrote: 2 years ago
There are no cold immunes in
Ancient Tunnels
, and the
Mausoleum
. Since this is for MF you don’t need to be good at clearing all of hell. You just need to be able to clear any of the lvl 85 areas.

If you can get to act 1 hell you are set for the
Mausoleum
, getting to act 2 you should be able to do it with a solid act 2 mercenary handling some of the cold immunes while skipping others. With that you are good to go, and can farm away.

I’ve had a lot of success with Edge on my Fury Druid. That has got me as far as act 2 hell, I wonder what a zon could do with it, because you will get a lot of extra Ed against undead/demons.

But yea a physicial/cold hybrid should be a workable build. If it were me I enjoy
Strafe
, just because it is similar to Fury/
Zeal
I have fun with it.

I also don’t know about the cold facets. Everyone and their mother is going to be a blizzard sorc, I bet cold facets will be incredibly expensive, I wouldn’t count on them too much in my build.

Oh wow yeah I forgot those two lvl85 areas have no cold immunes, that's wild, thanks!!

Full Mavs with Harmony on switch should do just fine in there without any fire damage. Ignoring the fire skills give soo many skill points too. Can definitely get crit and
Pierce
pretty high. I'm not a huge
Strafe
fan but maybe if I can eventually make a Wrath I will feel otherwise XD that looks pretty fun to just have instant free
Decrepify
all the time on switch. 4 seconds isn't much but can just quickly fire one round of
Strafe
to reactivate it on multiple enemies, even spread out ones haha. I'm wondering if
Chaos Sanctuary
would actually be viable with Wrath on switch (for
Lord De Seis
and the other cold immune Oblivion Knights). In areas where monsters have 50% DR,
Decrepify
would literally double physical damage -- merc would melt them then, with
Guided Arrow
focus firing to quickly get things under control. Until then, there's always
Spellsteel
! Thirty charges should be plenty for
Chaos Sanctuary

Could also survive Pit with
Decrepify
...otherwise I think the CIs there are too fast.

BillyMaysed 2185Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Noemard wrote: 2 years ago
I agree making a MF sorc every time gets boring.
Agreed MF sorc every single ladder is boring AF, but as a new undergeared MF character, you can't beat its speed with not only
Teleport
but more importantly,
Static Field
. I wish more classes were even CLOSE to as viable so i don't feel pigeon-holed into always making one first. However, i don't spend too much time with my MF sorc and quickly make another class my main. :P
While not nothing, you combine that with a slower boss kills and running everywhere, you are only going to get a fraction of the # of runs in, with a fraction of the MF other classes can have.
Honestly with the no game creation limit anymore, Moonlit can just run
Pindleskin
Shenk the Overseer
and
Eldritch the Rectifier
over and over. Or even limitless
Travincal
runs. :D

PS. I LOVE HOW ALL THE SKILLS AND NAMES CREATE TOOLTIPS OMG. :O

BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
While not nothing, you combine that with a slower boss kills and running everywhere, you are only going to get a fraction of the # of runs in, with a fraction of the MF other classes can have.
Honestly with the no game creation limit anymore, Moonlit can just run
Pindleskin
Shenk the Overseer
and
Eldritch the Rectifier
over and over. Or even limitless
Travincal
runs. :D
Very fair point, I did not consider that when I posted
OP
Here's a different approach than what I originally was thinking (dropped the fire damage):

https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/ig0106wy

Pretty solid damage, both cold and phys, with good crit odds, and just the pure nastiness of having Wrath on switch, to stay safe and increase damage against cold immunes. Hopefully that would be enough to handle the fast CIs in
Chaos Sanctuary
and Pit.
So, how did you get on??
OP
I respecced to hybridzon since the physical damage and speed of Mav's bow is just too low to mana leech properly and handle single targets quickly.

Current build maxes
Freezing Arrow
(and its synergy),
Penetrate
, and
Lightning Fury
, with the rest in
Charged Strike
(for bosses). It really does well.
Titan's Revenge
is just broken, even one point in
Jab
can handle the occasional monster with immunity to both cold and lightning. Harmony does great physical and elemental damage and make WSK runs very fast even without
Teleport

Overall this is the most versatile build I've ever played, and so much fun. The
Key
is you need decent phys damage on bow and AR in order to mana leech and
Pierce
Lightning Fury
and
Charged Strike
are both just so broken in their own ways, it's very very powerful even with budget gear. But lightning alone is garbage in WSK --
Freezing Arrow
completely dominates Burning Soul packs and the throne room itself. Only one wave in the throne is cold immune -- and they go down easy enough with LF.

With just Titan's, Harmony, Treachery, and some form of mana leech, you can easily solo p5 Worldstone Keep. For
Baal
himself, p1 is easy with this skill setup.
Baal
p3+ needs maxed
Charged Strike
, which is fine, just need some attack rating charms to make up for the non-maxed
Penetrate
then.

I'm currently about to respec into my end-game gear of CtA (
Matriarchal Bow
), CoH, and rare
Circlet
. Can't wait. Then will try solo p8 WSK+
Baal
runs. CtA is really an amazing bow for this since speed, damage, and +skills are all necessary, and obviously
Battle Orders
gives you freedom to pump dex if you need more AR.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation