Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
35 replies   2842 views

Description

This topic is now outdated. Please read the patch notes for v1.0.
Hello all,

The traffic isn't dying down, actually getting scared that this might have been a success :lol: It's becoming a bit too much to handle for the machine I'm currently using for hosting.

I've raised £70 in donations today, if I were to receive another £70 I'd be able to put the site on a dedicated server for a month, which would significantly speed up the site and allow for these kinds of sustained numbers. No more CAPTCHA as well as it has some extra security features.

If you want to help with these costs, please make a donation here. You get a cool gold coin next to your name and a purple username colour, plus a wee badge on your profile.

That's it for now, this all came at me really quick so I could only scrap together this simple system - I know some of you would have wanted to see something robust but hopefully this'll be enough to raise funds for now.

Teeb
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Teebling 5763Admin

Europe PC
This topic is now outdated. Please read the patch notes for v1.0.
Hello all,

The traffic isn't dying down, actually getting scared that this might have been a success :lol: It's becoming a bit too much to handle for the machine I'm currently using for hosting.

I've raised £70 in donations today, if I were to receive another £70 I'd be able to put the site on a dedicated server for a month, which would significantly speed up the site and allow for these kinds of sustained numbers. No more CAPTCHA as well as it has some extra security features.

If you want to help with these costs, please make a donation here. You get a cool gold coin next to your name and a purple username colour, plus a wee badge on your profile.

That's it for now, this all came at me really quick so I could only scrap together this simple system - I know some of you would have wanted to see something robust but hopefully this'll be enough to raise funds for now.

Teeb

BillyMaysed 2170Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Can we get donator badges on our accounts to flex upon other unsuspecting members?

OP

Teebling 5763Admin

Europe PC
You get some cool decorations already :)
See CN's post at the top - gold coins before his forum level, purple username, 'Donator' title.
See CN's post at the top - gold coins before his forum level, purple username, 'Donator' title.
Profile badge on his profile page.
Profile badge on his profile page.

Sorceress Americas PC
Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
You get some cool decorations already :)
You spent an insane amount of time on the finer details of this site. I am still randomly discovering new features with posting threads and comments, the trade section and the database. Its infinitely more complex than any other forum or D2 site ive ever seen. This site literally looks like you spent 10 years on it Teebs.

The tiny little icons, the intense nostalgia. Its like you worked for blizzard north on the OG diablo. Can't thank you enough for everything you've done here and we can already see this site is finally getting the attention it deserves.

OP

Teebling 5763Admin

Europe PC
Thanks for your donation Billy! I've ordered a new server already guys, hopefully have it live Monday.

Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks for your donation Billy! I've ordered a new server already guys, hopefully have it live Monday.
Good job!
@Teebling The amount of money I gave, isn't enough to pay you or the team for the time and work you guys put into this project.

Tavron 132

Paladin Europe PC
Glad to hear about your efforts with the server! And even more about the popularity of the site (you did good with it though, so ofc usernumbers exploded ;) )
Nice, that you made it possible to just donate a small amount so people like me could help a bit too!

"Seven Evils spawned of seven heads. Seven realms birthed from Death."
Just some growing pains. Thank you for your work.
We told you some pages are too heavy to load even on the client side. For example, all trades show up in a single page. It's ridiculous.

OP

Teebling 5763Admin

Europe PC
pixelated wrote: 2 years ago
We told you some pages are too heavy to load even on the client side. For example, all trades show up in a single page. It's ridiculous.
EDIT: changed now to batches of 200 with pagination, which breaks filtering but works well. At the moment is at 600-ish trades in the last 6h, so moving at around 100 trades an hour. I'm doing my best to keep up with a system I expected to maybe get 1 or 2 trades per hour if I was lucky.

This was an emergency patch on this very thing you mentioned - specifically to bring network requests down. There are too many threads because of the high amount of both organic and malicious traffic on a scale I hadn't anticipated. A dedicated server has a much greater thread count (bigger CPU), which will alleviate the unusually high amount of traffic. Client-side - as you mentioned - has nothing to do with that, bar the number of requests on each page, which as I said has already been hotfixed in the most practical and time-efficient manner to keep the site live.

If you think you can come up with a better solution, then I'm all ears.

Sorceress Americas PC
pixelated wrote: 2 years ago
This site had literally 400 members a month ago. now its rapidly going to soar past 4,000 in a single weekend DESPITE the DDoS attack and despite @Teebling being a one-man army back here doing it all.

I think he's done an insanely good job considering the situation, and he will fix all the issues is record time as he has in the past. For F-R-E-E.

Beardozer 436Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
I think this site is blowing up faster than anybody expected. Glad to see it happen, now just gotta deal with some big growing pains.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
So how much do you need for next months server hosting? Maybe we can get a monthly donation goal somewhere?

Beardozer 436Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
How much should we donate to the Hair Dye for Teebling fund so we can help Teebs combat all the gray hair he's undoubtedly growing this week seeing his server catch fire from explosive user growth?

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
It's so weird how people even bother to DDoS sites like these!

I was trying to donate with Paypal but they have a two-factor authentication going with a wrong phone number and no way to fix that on their website. Doh. I'll look into it later and see if I can do it via mobile instead.

Otherwise think Patreon is a natural, established system for these sort of things, especially to easier get recurring payments going.

Sorceress Americas PC
Jandar wrote: 2 years ago
Otherwise think Patreon is a natural, established system for these sort of things, especially to easier get recurring payments going.
ya i was also going to ask if @Teebling can set up reoccurring donations through patreon or something like that. Maybe $1, $5, $10, $25/month?

I would pay (more) to have captchas turned off for my account. I'm also a bit concerned that I may be a bot since I keep failing so many captchas.
Greenr04 wrote: 2 years ago
I would pay (more) to have captchas turned off for my account. I'm also a bit concerned that I may be a bot since I keep failing so many captchas.
I was thinking the same thing!

Relevant xkcd:
https://xkcd.com/329/
https://xkcd.com/329/
Greenr04 wrote: 2 years ago
Every captcha everytime was select the planes. Always planes. So many planes.

Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...