Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
34 replies   2681 views

How do you say them? (See post for explanation)

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Shack-o (8%)
Shay-ko (14%)
Es-Oh-Jay (16%)
Sodge (5%)
Burr (12%)
Bear (9%)
Source (9%)
Sork (12%)
Ocky (14%)
Ah-si (3%)
Total votes: 172
Total votes: 172

Description

Description by BMAY

Can be used to make Runewords:

However the definition of shako is "a cylindrical or conical military hat with a brim and a plume or pom-pom."

So the word "shako" with the pronunciation of "shack-o" does not fit the description of the item in the game.

Therefore I postulate a real shako and its pronunciation are completely different from the shako in the game. In the world of Sanctuary a
Shako
is a type of leather cap, with a name that is pronounced "shay-ko".
Honestly - after replying with what I typically use I started to think specifically about
Shako
and how Sha-
Ko
makes more sense when it comes to the English language. However, I can't get over the fact that "shayko" just sounds better to my ears. I have an issue I wish I didn't have now... Thanks. :')
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
Noemard wrote: 2 years ago
However the definition of shako is "a cylindrical or conical military hat with a brim and a plume or pom-pom."

So the word "shako" with the pronunciation of "shack-o" does not fit the description of the item in the game.

Therefore I postulate a real shako and its pronunciation are completely different from the shako in the game. In the world of Sanctuary a
Shako
While I recognize your logical attempt at rationale, i must protest!

There are many terms that are clearly used/borrowed from weaponry, armor, etc, that are not 1:1 what is pictured in the game.
  • Greaves
    are actually armor that protects the main part of the Leg, and doesnt cover the feet, but in-game
    Greaves
    are really armored
    Boots
  • The exceptional
    Axe
    is a "
    Cleaver
    ", yet is clearly still a regular
    Axe
    and not the image of a
    Cleaver
There are other examples as well, but these are off the top of my head lol.

BMAY wrote: 2 years ago

Shako
While I recognize your logical attempt at rationale, i must protest!

There are many terms that are clearly used/borrowed from weaponry, armor, etc, that are not 1:1 what is pictured in the game.
  • Greaves
    are actually armor that protects the main part of the Leg, and doesnt cover the feet, but in-game
    Greaves
    are really armored
    Boots
  • The exceptional
    Axe
    is a "
    Cleaver
    ", yet is clearly still a regular
    Axe
    and not the image of a
    Cleaver
There are other examples as well, but these are off the top of my head lol.
Who's to say those aren't also words that that exist in Sanctuary that coincidentally are an english word for a very similar type of weapon/armor with the same spelling. Maybe in Sanctuary what we know as a cleaver is called a Choppy Fatboy.
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
Who's to say those aren't also words that that exist in Sanctuary that coincidentally are an english word for a very similar type of weapon/armor with the same spelling. Maybe in Sanctuary what we know as a cleaver is called a Choppy Fatboy.
🤣
But that's exactly my point though. No one can say for certain, but we do know how these words are pronounced in English, and can assume how the dev's intended/pronounced them, so it stands to reason we go with what has already been established compared to what we have to imagine.

Ultimately, there cannot be anything proven clearly in a fictitious setting, but I have good evidence and logic for thinking my way is more probable.

This hill -> Me -> *dies*

def going with Shack-o, es oh jay, burr, sork, and ocky, these are really the true choices
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
Deranged wrote: 2 years ago
def going with Shack-o, es oh jay, burr, sork, and ocky, these are really the true choices
Good job, 4/5 ain't bad! 😛

(Source fo lyfe )

I've seen a lot of good arguments in this thread for pronunciations. I think moving forward I will start saying "Shack-oh" instead of "Shay-
Ko
" if I can help it. Which will be a bit of a challenge since 95% of the youtubers I watch say "Shay-
Ko
" already. But it just seems wrong now that I think about it and looked into the pronunciation of the actual word more. I'll try to switch my frame of reference from "Sork" to "Sorse" as well. Always room for improvement!
BMAY wrote: 2 years ago
Good job, 4/5 ain't bad! 😛

(Source fo lyfe )
right i know
Ber
is bear but my old brain cant fix what my young brain has done :)
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
right i know
Ber
is bear but my old brain cant fix what my young brain has done :)
How dare you.
Ber
is Burr! Your young brain was correct imo! 😂

m00 9

Necromancer Americas PC
If I ever heard someone say "sodge" out loud, I don't even know what I would do. Back away slowly? Strike their number from my contacts?
There's also a thing where if you mispronounce a word in a Youtube video and a user replies to it attempting to correct you, that's a larger engagement credit than a simple like or dislike and you're more likely to get a promoted video for each engagement hit. You couldn't do it all the time as you'd eventually lose viewers, but if you sprinkle in occasional mispronunciations you can game the algorithm really well. I personally think that kind of wrecks our language and is a little sociopathic, but apparently it's a thing.
As a French player, I only relate to those pronunciation when I hear English speaking streamers do it. I actually pronounce
All of those with French accent and you wouldn't want to hear that xD
Like :
Io
rune is ayo in english but yo in french
Sur
is Sir in enligsh but Sür (as in über) in french
Gul
is goule in english but Gül in french
Eth
is kinda Eff in english but Ett in french
Pul
would be pull in EN and Pül in french
Ber
is Bear in french

HHTekill#2716

Durok 11

PC
people differ in the pronouncing because of their native language.

Ber
in german will be just pronounced like that, not burr or bare. baer more precisely.
Jah
will br ja (GERMAN yes).

Gunar 35

Amazon PC
In Germany
Shako
is pronounced "Harle".

SoJ = "Soi"

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...