Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
34 replies   2680 views

How do you say them? (See post for explanation)

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Shack-o (8%)
Shay-ko (14%)
Es-Oh-Jay (16%)
Sodge (5%)
Burr (12%)
Bear (9%)
Source (9%)
Sork (12%)
Ocky (14%)
Ah-si (3%)
Total votes: 172
Total votes: 172

Description

I grew up playing this game before the days of YouTube, and to this day really don't watch any streamers, etc. However, since the announcement of D2R, i've watched more Diablo-related media in the past 2 months than all of the past 10 years. And I can't believe how some people pronounce things! 😂

Now, needless to say, the way I choose to say things is the undeniably correct way and everyone else is a godless heathen (jk),
but I'm curious how different everyone pronounces the following words; so let's have everyone weigh in!

Shako
:: "Shack-o" or "Shay-ko"
SOJ :: "Es-Oh-Jay" or "Sodge"
Ber
(rune) :: "Burr" or "Bear"
Sorc :: "Source" or "Sork"
Merc :: "Merse" or "Merk"
Occy :: "Ah-si" or "Ocky"

Open to other people adding your own Diablo 2 terms that people might say different than others!

(For the record, I say the words above as: "Shack-o", "Es-Oh-Jay", "Burr", "Source", "Merk", "Ocky".)
Also: Proof that
Shako
is pronounced "Shack-o": https://www.google.com/search?q=shako+define
Description by BMAY

Can be used to make Runewords:

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
I grew up playing this game before the days of YouTube, and to this day really don't watch any streamers, etc. However, since the announcement of D2R, i've watched more Diablo-related media in the past 2 months than all of the past 10 years. And I can't believe how some people pronounce things! 😂

Now, needless to say, the way I choose to say things is the undeniably correct way and everyone else is a godless heathen (jk),
but I'm curious how different everyone pronounces the following words; so let's have everyone weigh in!

Shako
:: "Shack-o" or "Shay-ko"
SOJ :: "Es-Oh-Jay" or "Sodge"
Ber
(rune) :: "Burr" or "Bear"
Sorc :: "Source" or "Sork"
Merc :: "Merse" or "Merk"
Occy :: "Ah-si" or "Ocky"

Open to other people adding your own Diablo 2 terms that people might say different than others!

(For the record, I say the words above as: "Shack-o", "Es-Oh-Jay", "Burr", "Source", "Merk", "Ocky".)
Also: Proof that
Shako
is pronounced "Shack-o": https://www.google.com/search?q=shako+define

Shayko
Es-Oh-Jay
Bear or Burr, either way honestly.
Sork
Merk but Merse makes sense too.
Ocky because it sounds correct regarding the sound of "Ocu"
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
UnrivaledPiercer wrote: 2 years ago
Sork
I find it interesting your rationale here, which i completely agree with, doesn't hold up the same for "Sorc". Following this reasoning it would clearly be "Source" for "Sorceress", no?

BMAY wrote: 2 years ago
UnrivaledPiercer wrote: 2 years ago
Sork
I find it interested your rationale here, which i completely agree with, doesn't hold up the same for "Sorc". Following this reasoning it would clearly be "Source" for "Sorceress", no?
You'd think so, but I've just never found myself saying it that way. I suppose due to the fact that seeing "Sorc" is so common, along with "Merc" you tend to just pronounce the abbreviation more directly. I guess "Sorse" or "Source" as you said does make sense, you just almost never hear it, at least I don't. Though the same can't be said for people who say "Sodge" or "Soge" that's just WRONG. lol
While we're on the topic of pronunciations, this is actually a personal pet peeve of mine. I absolutely hate it when people pronounce certain words incorrectly. Words like "Chasm", or "Regen" (Dude on a video literally pronounced it like "Raygin"), and many more. It's rage inducing!

If I think of the other ones, I'll post them here. No promises though.

Edit: I do have another one, but I'm struggling to remember it. Trying to figure out what it is right now; it's just on the fog of my memory.

Edit: It was Facade! I legit have a friend who pronounced it like "Fay-Kade" once!

Ran37 95

Sorceress Americas PC
How am I the only sodge'r!?

- Ran37
When it comes to saying SoJ I've always said "So" with the J being silent! Other than that I voted Es-Oh-Jay since that is how it is spelled out! :)

OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
Krythic wrote: 2 years ago
While we're on the topic of pronunciations, this is actually a personal pet peeve of mine. I absolutely hate it when people pronounce certain words incorrectly. Words like "Chasm", or "Regen" (Dude on a video literally pronounced it like "Raygin"), and many more. It's rage inducing!

If I think of the other ones, I'll post them here. No promises though.

Edit: I do have another one, but I'm struggling to remember it. Trying to figure out what it is right now; it's just on the fog of my memory.

Edit: It was Facade! I legit have a friend who pronounced it like "Fay-Kade" once!
Those words don't really count per this discussion as, well, they are actual words in the dictionary with verifiable english pronunciation that you can look up 😛.

Same thing goes for "
Baal
". It is pronounced "Bail" like "Christian Bale". Not "Ball" or "Ba'al". This is verifiable as the word is actually spoken numerous times throughout the story by NPCs lol.
WhirLWinD wrote: 2 years ago
When it comes to saying SoJ I've always said "So" with the J being silent!
Interesting, that's a new one for me lol

Tavron 132

Paladin Europe PC
I think because of my danish heritage, I've always pronounced SOJ like: "Soi" or with danish letters "såi".
Kinda weird when I think about it now, but always been like that.

"Seven Evils spawned of seven heads. Seven realms birthed from Death."
Tavron wrote: 2 years ago
I think because of my danish heritage, I've always pronounced SOJ like: "Soi" or with danish letters "såi".
Me as well. Same with
Shako
. Shacko feels more natural in danish, than Shayko.
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
giz0r wrote: 2 years ago
Tavron wrote: 2 years ago
Me as well. Same with
Shako
. Shacko feels more natural in danish, than Shayko.
Well
Shako
is actually a real English word, and its pronounced Shack-o.

These shay-ko folks are just wrong.

Proof: https://www.google.com/search?q=shako+define

Ber
is phonetically 'burr'. It would have to literally be spelled B - e - a - r to have the phonetic 'air' likeness. Am I not right here?

Have more than half of you been saying "
Jah
-
Ith
- Bear" all these years?

I'm going to go rock in a corner now.
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
Onymous wrote: 2 years ago
Ber
is phonetically 'burr'. It would have to literally be spelled B - e - a - r to have the phonetic 'air' likeness. Am I not right here?

Have more than half of you been saying "
Jah
-
Ith
- Bear" all these years?

I'm going to go rock in a corner now.
That's what i'm saying! 🤣
This epidemic is widespread!

For the record, I've always pronounced its "bur", like the end of a September

But I don't think it's being pronounced as if it was spelled "bear" (even so I'd say it would be the word "bare"), but more "Behr" like the paint Brand. Maybe the transliteration of Behr is
Ber
, and some people made the connection and it stuck, idk

What I would like to know is how people pronounced it after the first time reading it. If that's how they natural would have said it or if they heard someone else and started saying it that way.
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
Noemard wrote: 2 years ago

I don't think it's being pronounced as if it was spelled "bear" (even so I'd say it would be the word "bare"), but more "Behr" like the paint Brand. Maybe the transliteration of Behr is
Ber
, and some people made the connection and it stuck, idk
I have heard people say "Bare/Bear" so i know it does happen; though I cannot explain it.
I have also heard people suggest, like you, its closer to Behr. This is true for some im sure, but for me and my specific dialect/accent; "Behr" and "Bare" sound the exact same coming out of my mouth. lol.

klh 52

Assassin Europe XLinux
Noemard wrote: 2 years ago
What I would like to know is how people pronounced it after the first time reading it. If that's how they natural would have said it or if they heard someone else and started saying it that way.
Ber
like the end of September, but I'm Polish so "behr" was never an option and others were completely different: SoJ was soy,
Shako
was czako and I still shorten
The Oculus
to "ossi".
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
So it looks like there are only two with a strong consensus.

Occy = Ocky not Ossi

&

SOJ = S. O. J. not Sodge

But i still think all you "Shayko" sayers are damned 😂

Maybe it's because I mainly speak french, but I read them as Ossi, Bear, Shayko and Source.
Fun poll! Personally I normally refer to Sorc (Source) as Soso (So So), just as I refer to Druid as Dudu (dew dew), Barb as baba (bab bah) etc. Although pertaining to the question, source. :D

I've never heard any one pronounce
Ber
as bear, however this poll shows that some people definitely do. Very interesting!

Oh, and it's definitely Shayko ;) (Obviously tounge and cheek - it's just how I prefer to say it. =) )
OP

BMAY 518

Assassin Americas PC
ColdNCursed wrote: 2 years ago
Fun poll! Personally I normally refer to Sorc (Source) as Soso (So So), just as I refer to Druid as Dudu (dew dew), Barb as baba (bab bah) etc. Although pertaining to the question, source. :D

I've never heard any one pronounce
Ber
as bear, however this poll shows that some people definitely do. Very interesting!

Oh, and it's definitely Shayko ;) (Obviously tounge and cheek - it's just how I prefer to say it. =) )
I've heard a lot of the dudu/soso talk as well, i just personally never subscribed to that. I have no room for Baby talk in my D2 😂

Also....
I will die on this
Shako
hill! 😂😂

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...