Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
11 replies   725 views

Description

Someone requested I do a review on the Bowmancer playthrough so here we go! As an added bonus will also include a rough build guide. Enjoy

The Prep: Before even setting one foot into
Blood Moor
I knew there was gonna be some much needed planning for this run to succeed. So I made a collection of all the unique bows as well brought together as many low level Dexterity charms as I could find. And No, I did not use any bows that gave +skills to amazon. However my A1 Merc did receive a
Kuko Shakaku
which absolutely slaps! Oh Yea' almost forgot gave myself pair of
Bloodfist
as well.

Day 1: At first the beginning was slow. shooting single targets at a time. amp damage +
Clay Golem
was big help early on. But once I finally got to level 15 and equipped the
Raven Claw
, oh boy does this Rock! Poor Andy didn't even know what hit her. Dare I say easier then Normal Bone Necro Run! Should mention that I do play online. But after each Act I go back single player to reface each Boss alone for more accurate feel on the build. This helps level my toon up faster plus is more enjoyable to play along with others. Also, I always Walk. No Rush Ever.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that upon my very 1st shop at
Charsi
I lucked out finding a 3os Bow which I used till level 7 adding two chip topez and a chip
Ruby
. With every new bow I would gain access to from my stash, the previous one was passed down to my A1 Merc. and by all means, I am no expert in Diablo. I play for fun. so This isn't the Perfect way to level up a Bowmancer. More of simply sharing my thoughts and experiences thu out this unbeaten path few dare to take.

Continuing on, my confidence was building heading into Act2 after making Andy look like another
Fallen
from
The Den of Evil
. Up to this point I've put one point into the following skills; Amp,
Iron Maiden
Dim Vision
Teeth
Bone Armor
Corpse Explosion
Bone Wall
Clay Golem
Golem Mastery
with like 15 points saved. Just wasn't sure what to do with them. But that would quickly change once I finally reached the end of Act 2. Heading to
Duriel
with a new Rogue's Claw Bow.. My
Clay Golem
, Mercenary and Confidence was all smashed to Smithereens at an Instant upon entering his Lair.

Made a Bone marrow escape just before joining them in Oblivion came to realization that I've got work to do. Started by spending all my remaining points into
Golem Mastery
. As it's become very apparent we need a Tank that can survive more then one hit. Then I proceeded to grind out some tombs and reached level 26 giving access to two new Bows! The
Wizendraw
and
Stormstrike
. Yes I would keep two bows equipped at all times. However am thinking of using a
Wand
with
Bone Armor
+ Synergies on swap if I ever find one in the wild.

Level 26 also gave me access to Confusion and
Life Tap
to which I must state now, Confusion became the Star of the Show for this Build so far! Now was time to revisit Mr.
Duriel
and seek my Revenge. It was night and day this time around as my new reborn Tank of Clay was able to survive the entire battle! Little
Iron Maiden
and this was another effortless battle won by the Bow. Act 3 Proved to be fairly easy using a combination of Confusion on mobs and Amp on the Elite monsters.
Mephisto
put up a good fight, but was still no match against this Bowmancer.

Day 2: Act 4 was still more the same. Am glad I picked up on the tactical uses of Curses thru my Cursemancer Run from a previous Necro.
Confuse
, Amp and admittingly occasional
Corpse Explosion
whenever my Merc or Clay be in danger or to help speed up killing those high density little creepy crawlers. But honestly, I've probably used CE less then a dozen times the entire playthrough. The Merc with her Fire
Arrows
gave nice AoE DMG that helped handle most mobs.

With the help of another Necro and his summons alongside a Cold Sorc we made pretty short work of Diablo. Carried on thru Act 5 and faced no problems. I chose to use Prison on those final wave of Monsters cause I just wasn't gonna test to see if this Summon Necro army was strong enough to hang. For Context I'm Level 35 up to this point. Rocking another new Bow, The
Riphook
which worked very well for me. The Summon Necro was level 24 and Sorc was level 22. So yea, wasn't taking any chances.

Facing
Baal
wasn't much of an issue. I used
Life Tap
to help keep our Summons Friends alive and after about 2 minutes sure enough
Baal
gave out his last gasping laugh as his soul left his arrow riddled body. And that was Great and all, most would carry on. But I had to prove to myself that I can do it solo. Reaching level 36 gave me access to a new Bow,
Pus Spitter
which was a very welcomed +2 Necro Skills and decided to Respec so I can equip a G-Face to add some Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike. Now I'm Ready!

Or sooo I thought. Diablo is no joke man. He instantly destroyed my Merc and
Clay Golem
on the first Move!
Lightning Bolt
my Hopes and Dreams into Ashe before my Eyes. Panic sets in as I scramble to avoid another Blast that narrowly brings me to my first Death. But I wasn't going down so easy. Quickly teleported myself back to give this greedy angel of heaven Gold to
Revive
my
Fallen
partner and save the world and all. But back to the Battle. I hopped back thru the blue portal and began Round 2

Iron Maiden
Life Tap
all for nothing as
Clay Golem
can't survive for more then 5 seconds. Didn't take long for the Mercenary to follow. But this time I wasn't running away. I kept bringing back Clayface and got in every shot I could while dodging every bullet Diablo fired at me. Amp Damage was the only answer here and I think the G-Face played a big role in Finally bringing the Big Red Machine down. Phew was a long hard fought battle, but the Bow rained supreme!

Now came the Real Test.. Or sooo I thought. Turns out
Baal
and his Waves was Much much easier then facing Diablo. Who knew?! Confusion every wave but the Last. Prison
Iron Maiden
on the Last wave. Amp Damage on
Baal
and keep on spawning Clay golems like it's a Pottery Class. He even died a lot faster. Think what helped was being able to stay safe distance and keep a steady flow of
Arrows
plucking into his Face. It was a good effort
Baal
but you stood no chance against my undead bow-wielding necromancer and That, was the end of Normal Difficulty

Summary: It was possibly the most fun I've had leveling up a Necro. The challenges, having to strategize each upcoming battle and overall Fresh playstyle definitely gave this Run a boat load of Fun. The only drawbacks was, Yes it was painfully slow in the beginning, Did have to grind out few extra levels to keep up in each Act.

And Finally the biggest drawback, which is more of a double edged sword really.. You're just firing a bow. pluck pluck pluck. that's all it is at the end of the day. Curse here Curse there sure. But Mostly just doing one single action the entire run. Just firing a bow the whole time. But also, You're a Freaking Necro that's Firing a Bow the Whole Time!

So yeah overall definitely been a refreshing take on a Necro, this being my 9th one? I'm not sure, lost count. I am sure firing the Bow, once I get the Brand, will become a lot more exciting. I am looking forward to my run through Nightmare and Hell equipped with Brand and Bone Runewords. I will gladly let you all know how that goes within this topic

If you are interested in seeing what the Endgame build will look like here is a link that helped inspire this playthrough;

For those who wish to give this a try on your own, I say Good Luck! It's gonna be a bumpy thrilling rollercoaster of a ride! I also do strongly suggest picking up some unique bows before starting the run. This made leveling up much more exciting with every new bow in stash waiting to have their strings pulled by the cold fingers of a deadman

Hope you enjoyed these Tales from a Bowmancer. Stick around for another Chapter in a few days to learn how the Journey continues. Till then, with the words of another great Necro Player..

Keep On Slaying!! UGH
Description by Soultego

Can be used to make Runewords:

Someone requested I do a review on the Bowmancer playthrough so here we go! As an added bonus will also include a rough build guide. Enjoy

The Prep: Before even setting one foot into
Blood Moor
I knew there was gonna be some much needed planning for this run to succeed. So I made a collection of all the unique bows as well brought together as many low level Dexterity charms as I could find. And No, I did not use any bows that gave +skills to amazon. However my A1 Merc did receive a
Kuko Shakaku
which absolutely slaps! Oh Yea' almost forgot gave myself pair of
Bloodfist
as well.

Day 1: At first the beginning was slow. shooting single targets at a time. amp damage +
Clay Golem
was big help early on. But once I finally got to level 15 and equipped the
Raven Claw
, oh boy does this Rock! Poor Andy didn't even know what hit her. Dare I say easier then Normal Bone Necro Run! Should mention that I do play online. But after each Act I go back single player to reface each Boss alone for more accurate feel on the build. This helps level my toon up faster plus is more enjoyable to play along with others. Also, I always Walk. No Rush Ever.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that upon my very 1st shop at
Charsi
I lucked out finding a 3os Bow which I used till level 7 adding two chip topez and a chip
Ruby
. With every new bow I would gain access to from my stash, the previous one was passed down to my A1 Merc. and by all means, I am no expert in Diablo. I play for fun. so This isn't the Perfect way to level up a Bowmancer. More of simply sharing my thoughts and experiences thu out this unbeaten path few dare to take.

Continuing on, my confidence was building heading into Act2 after making Andy look like another
Fallen
from
The Den of Evil
. Up to this point I've put one point into the following skills; Amp,
Iron Maiden
Dim Vision
Teeth
Bone Armor
Corpse Explosion
Bone Wall
Clay Golem
Golem Mastery
with like 15 points saved. Just wasn't sure what to do with them. But that would quickly change once I finally reached the end of Act 2. Heading to
Duriel
with a new Rogue's Claw Bow.. My
Clay Golem
, Mercenary and Confidence was all smashed to Smithereens at an Instant upon entering his Lair.

Made a Bone marrow escape just before joining them in Oblivion came to realization that I've got work to do. Started by spending all my remaining points into
Golem Mastery
. As it's become very apparent we need a Tank that can survive more then one hit. Then I proceeded to grind out some tombs and reached level 26 giving access to two new Bows! The
Wizendraw
and
Stormstrike
. Yes I would keep two bows equipped at all times. However am thinking of using a
Wand
with
Bone Armor
+ Synergies on swap if I ever find one in the wild.

Level 26 also gave me access to Confusion and
Life Tap
to which I must state now, Confusion became the Star of the Show for this Build so far! Now was time to revisit Mr.
Duriel
and seek my Revenge. It was night and day this time around as my new reborn Tank of Clay was able to survive the entire battle! Little
Iron Maiden
and this was another effortless battle won by the Bow. Act 3 Proved to be fairly easy using a combination of Confusion on mobs and Amp on the Elite monsters.
Mephisto
put up a good fight, but was still no match against this Bowmancer.

Day 2: Act 4 was still more the same. Am glad I picked up on the tactical uses of Curses thru my Cursemancer Run from a previous Necro.
Confuse
, Amp and admittingly occasional
Corpse Explosion
whenever my Merc or Clay be in danger or to help speed up killing those high density little creepy crawlers. But honestly, I've probably used CE less then a dozen times the entire playthrough. The Merc with her Fire
Arrows
gave nice AoE DMG that helped handle most mobs.

With the help of another Necro and his summons alongside a Cold Sorc we made pretty short work of Diablo. Carried on thru Act 5 and faced no problems. I chose to use Prison on those final wave of Monsters cause I just wasn't gonna test to see if this Summon Necro army was strong enough to hang. For Context I'm Level 35 up to this point. Rocking another new Bow, The
Riphook
which worked very well for me. The Summon Necro was level 24 and Sorc was level 22. So yea, wasn't taking any chances.

Facing
Baal
wasn't much of an issue. I used
Life Tap
to help keep our Summons Friends alive and after about 2 minutes sure enough
Baal
gave out his last gasping laugh as his soul left his arrow riddled body. And that was Great and all, most would carry on. But I had to prove to myself that I can do it solo. Reaching level 36 gave me access to a new Bow,
Pus Spitter
which was a very welcomed +2 Necro Skills and decided to Respec so I can equip a G-Face to add some Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike. Now I'm Ready!

Or sooo I thought. Diablo is no joke man. He instantly destroyed my Merc and
Clay Golem
on the first Move!
Lightning Bolt
my Hopes and Dreams into Ashe before my Eyes. Panic sets in as I scramble to avoid another Blast that narrowly brings me to my first Death. But I wasn't going down so easy. Quickly teleported myself back to give this greedy angel of heaven Gold to
Revive
my
Fallen
partner and save the world and all. But back to the Battle. I hopped back thru the blue portal and began Round 2

Iron Maiden
Life Tap
all for nothing as
Clay Golem
can't survive for more then 5 seconds. Didn't take long for the Mercenary to follow. But this time I wasn't running away. I kept bringing back Clayface and got in every shot I could while dodging every bullet Diablo fired at me. Amp Damage was the only answer here and I think the G-Face played a big role in Finally bringing the Big Red Machine down. Phew was a long hard fought battle, but the Bow rained supreme!

Now came the Real Test.. Or sooo I thought. Turns out
Baal
and his Waves was Much much easier then facing Diablo. Who knew?! Confusion every wave but the Last. Prison
Iron Maiden
on the Last wave. Amp Damage on
Baal
and keep on spawning Clay golems like it's a Pottery Class. He even died a lot faster. Think what helped was being able to stay safe distance and keep a steady flow of
Arrows
plucking into his Face. It was a good effort
Baal
but you stood no chance against my undead bow-wielding necromancer and That, was the end of Normal Difficulty

Summary: It was possibly the most fun I've had leveling up a Necro. The challenges, having to strategize each upcoming battle and overall Fresh playstyle definitely gave this Run a boat load of Fun. The only drawbacks was, Yes it was painfully slow in the beginning, Did have to grind out few extra levels to keep up in each Act.

And Finally the biggest drawback, which is more of a double edged sword really.. You're just firing a bow. pluck pluck pluck. that's all it is at the end of the day. Curse here Curse there sure. But Mostly just doing one single action the entire run. Just firing a bow the whole time. But also, You're a Freaking Necro that's Firing a Bow the Whole Time!

So yeah overall definitely been a refreshing take on a Necro, this being my 9th one? I'm not sure, lost count. I am sure firing the Bow, once I get the Brand, will become a lot more exciting. I am looking forward to my run through Nightmare and Hell equipped with Brand and Bone Runewords. I will gladly let you all know how that goes within this topic

If you are interested in seeing what the Endgame build will look like here is a link that helped inspire this playthrough;

For those who wish to give this a try on your own, I say Good Luck! It's gonna be a bumpy thrilling rollercoaster of a ride! I also do strongly suggest picking up some unique bows before starting the run. This made leveling up much more exciting with every new bow in stash waiting to have their strings pulled by the cold fingers of a deadman

Hope you enjoyed these Tales from a Bowmancer. Stick around for another Chapter in a few days to learn how the Journey continues. Till then, with the words of another great Necro Player..

Keep On Slaying!! UGH

All Trades are Negotiable. Long Live
Nihlathak
I like your style man. Great read. I think once I have enough runes to make Brand, I will try a bowmancer too.

Necrarch 1614Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Nice indeed, great fun to read ! Thanks for sharing.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Soultego wrote: 1 month ago

If you are interested in seeing what the Endgame build will look like here is a link that helped inspire this playthrough; minecraftle game

Keep On Slaying!! UGH

Screenshot031.png
Omg this wacky build is amazing! Why does torch
Firestorm
have a different animation than the druid skill
Firestorm
?
seannews wrote: 1 month ago
Omg this wacky build is amazing! Why does torch
Firestorm
Firestorm
?
The Torch
Firestorm
is based off Diablo's big-arse one, not the Druid's piddly little one. :)

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

ShadowHeart 1772Moderator

Europe PC
seannews wrote: 1 month ago
Why does torch
Firestorm
Firestorm
?
Lanceor wrote: 1 month ago
The Torch
Firestorm
is based off Diablo's big-arse one, not the Druid's piddly little one. :)
Yeah, they're different skills, even though they're named the same :)

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
OP
It's Time for the Final Chapter in the Tales from a Bowmancer

Gonna try to keep this Short n Sweet. (Fair Warning, That didn't Happen) It was pretty clear from the start that
Pus Spitter
was not gonna cut it for even Act 1 after clearing the Den. So decided to hop into a few NM Cow runs to gain 10 more levels and equip myself with 2 new Bows, The
Goldstrike Arch
and
Buriza-Do Kyanon
. Unfortunately the Goldstrike didn't meet expectations and ended up left on Ground where it belongs swapping back to the
Pus Spitter
for some much needed +2 to Necro Skills with sole purpose of having stronger
Bone Armor
and
Clay Golem

Just barely getting thru Act 1 with the Buriza, it dawned on me. That there was a considerably large gap between the level 41
Crossbow
and level 65 Brand and there was no way I was gonna make it that far with this pea shooter. This also made me take a double look at the list of Bows and realized I missed two for the Collection desired to completing this run with relative ease. The level 39
Witchwild String
which may have been fun but doubt as useful. And then there was the, don't laugh..
Demon Machine
. you may be wondering how I overlooked this Monster and well my only explanation for that was. I thought the weapon was in the level 65+ range, no idea it was only level 49!

So what did I do? what any normal sane person would and piggybacked some more Cow runs till I reached that sweet sweet level 65. This of course, gave me access to the Runewords Brand, Bone and Wisdom. Now it's GAME ON! The rest of Nightmare was as you could imagine, a complete breeze. hardly a thought or effort was needed as the True Bowmancer in his Final Form decimated all that stood before him. To my actual surprise, Hell was basically just as easy and I was like a little boy with his Happy Meal; Lovin' It!

With all the Quest done it was time to put this Machine Gun Skelly to the Real Test! Farmed up a little first to reach the necessary level for my Merc to equip the Faith bow runeword and I was ready to release more
Arrows
then The Persian Army from 300. Time to block out the Sun! I ran around all the regular farming spots with various player counts from 1-8 and here's my Final Take on the Bowmancer

For starters. This build is not for Boss Killing. perhaps with some adjustments to gear that can be arranged but in his natural state, not the best. To give an idea,
Baal
takes about 60 seconds to kill. His real Strength comes against Mobs, the More the Merrier. With Players 1 he's capable of clearing all general Farming Locations such as Cows, Pit, Eldritch, Shank, Nihl, Tombs,
Arcane Sanctuary
and more. I think you get the picture. To my pleasant surprise he actually does well on his own in Players 3-5 in all areas as mentioned above. Once the room reached players 7-8 was when I felt the damage lacking some. However, he could still hold his own in even areas such as
Chaos Sanctuary
or Worldstone Keep. just not in any impressive fashion.

Should have mentioned previously that when reaching level 65, did a respect to the character. dropping all curses except for Amp and
Decrepify
, kept with
Clay Golem
+ Mastery + Resist from summon tree. and Maxed out all
Bone Spear
Synergies. Will provide a link to Maxroll D2 Planner near the end with all exact stats and gear in his final state. So instead of confusion, I'd utilize
Bone Wall
as means for crowd control which prove very effective as this would Line most the enemies up for some excellent piercing action! Golem did become weaker but wasn't relying on him as much. In fact, I wasn't relying on anything outside from my Bow and perhaps
Fanaticism
from the Mercanary which left me wondering, do I even need a golem or curses?!

So what do I think overall. Well it was most definitely some of the most fun I've had on D2R so far! But I do admit that feeling seemed to
Fade
quicker then usual with other builds. Perhaps it's the on going only needing one action playstyle which may be suitable for some. But drew a few yawns personally as over time only shooting a bow tends to grow old. Not having an Enigma or
Teleport
staff definitely effected his mobility so that also kept the game play feeling, slow. Not feeling effective against Bosses was also bit of a let down but was to be expected. A Fun Build to play from time to time, but not All the time.

So whats so great about a Bowmancer?! Well Glad you asked. One caveat that I can say is that there was no need for Sunders as basically any and all Immune enemies died all relatively same speed. Probably Fire and Magic immunes proved hardest to kill but it was hardly noticeable. a combination of Amp Damage, Fire
Arrows
, Cold
Arrows
(Merc), Magic Bone Spears and Physical Corpse Exploisions. Immunities and Sunders was all an after thought with this barrage of different damage types. Another cool thing was no need for Insight or Mana Potions or Mana in general. As mentioned previously, There really wasn't any need for golems, curses or anything besides shooting a 100
Arrows
per minute. Which by the way is very satisfying when Mowing down Cows.

Well hears my final thoughts. Would I do it again? Absolutely yes. there was even a moment I even considered using the Bowmancer as my Main. He did
Attract
a lot of positive attention from others, even being referred as "The Necro God" so that was all comforting considering I spent over two Jahs to create this build. I'd only recommend this build for other fellow Necro enthusiast seeking something Fresh and Off-Meta to try out. But for anyone just seeking to use a Bow wielding class, I'd point towards the Amazon or perhaps Enchantress Sorc as I'd imagine they be more friendlier with playstyle, effectiveness and perhaps even overall fun. (Wouldn't truly know tho since I only play as Necros)

So that's basically it. Hope I didn't forget anything. Got any questions, please feel free to ask as I be happy to answer. Here is, as promised, the full set-up of my Bowmancer in his current state. Also if you have any suggestions on how to improve that also be great! just Please don't tell me to get Skillers cause that one is Obvious. and Yes I did all of this without a Single Skiller in my inventory! I'd like to think with a full row of PnB GCs that He'd be much more reliable and independent in players 7-8 lobbies. Otherwise he feels more like a background character adding little support. Here's the Link to my Toon in D2Planner format: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/kn1d10zn

Hope I've inspired you to try for yourself this Bowmancer or perhaps even some other kind of Off-Meta build with your favorite class. Just remember, this build is primarily for Fun! Not for the Fastest Farming Clear Times you can Imagine. So with that in mind, I give this Build a Solid 9.5 out of 10 absolutely worth the Time and Runes that it cost to play. With that I leave you with these final words .. KEEP ON SLAAYING!!

Nihlathak
OP
Some Reason I couldn't attach this to previous message .. But here's some shots of the Bowmancer in Action .. Oh How satisfying when you see 2-4 Spears fly out from time to time

Nihlathak
Inspiring me to try some new builds. Thanks for sharing. I usually just give away most of the unique bows I find going to start keeping the good rolls I find.

If I don't list anything specific for what I want for it just make an offer.
That was a great read and I’m really hyped now. Machine gun skelly… lmao

TheDoo 219

Europe PC
Yeeeeyyy the Bowmancer finally! Thanks for sharing this with us, it was an awesome to read about it. :)

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
As a Demon Machinetress enthusiast, I am delighted by this project. Brand is a very cool runeword, indeed!

All trades are Switch only :)

Active most nights on Switch (Friend Code: 8500-1494-0819) from 0200-0500 UTC+00:00

Thank you 2.4 for making all of my wildest dreams come true!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...