Hello fellow
Werebear
players,

Since the beginning of past year, I have been on quite a journey with the
Werebear
. I think those of you who play the
Maul
Werebear
might be interested in my endgame build below. I have not seen a build guide for this build so maybe it is new but of course I do not know for sure. I play single player offline. This build is players 8
Terror
zone viable and basically shreds everything to pieces (and I mean everything, even ghosts and physical immunes). With a few tweaks I think it might also be hardcore viable.

This build has a workable
Fire Claws
on top of
Maul
(with gg 101k dps physical with a 15% ed ethereal
Decapitator
or
Glorious Axe
and optional plus 44k dps fire). I came up with the idea when I made the Faith bow for my act 1 merc. Previously I had played the whole game with HoW and strong summons. I then thought to myself that the merc better not die in this setup so I went for
Oak Sage
. Also, I believe that the quicker you kill the monsters with the
Werebear
, the better it is for the survival of the whole party. Therefore, the whole zoo is now a one point wonder and I put the points instead into
Fire Claws
and its synergies. It is a total team effort of your party but it works perfectly well together. It feels like you are just dominating the game. I will start with the act 1 merc since this build is kind of build around her.

Act 1 merc:
  • Cold Arrow
    : freezes and slows down targets, thus helping out your whole party
  • Inner Sight
    : she casts it all the time and this reduces the defense of monsters significantly (my
    Werebear
    therefore does not have any problems hitting stuff)
  • Gear: Faith bow for the fanatism aura, Hustle armor for faster run/walk in order for her to keep up with you (works awesome!) and she also gets the skill
    Evade
    from Hustle, vampires gaze for life leech and damage reduction socketed with a cold facet.
Stats: Strength to wear gear. Dex I invested 200 points so when the merc is sometimes not nearby you still hit monsters at a good rate. Plus you will get a high health pool as a
Werebear
anyway. The rest in vitality.

Skill points distribution
  • summoning: One point in all the animals. Twelve points in
    Oak Sage
    . This with skills on gear gives
    Oak Sage
    a life pool of 1.6k which is kind of a sweet spot for his survival based on my experiences and plus 175% life for the whole party. This is sufficient and works great. With the plus skills on gear and one summoning charm skiller the pets have 80% resistances (85% is the max). With the additional life from
    Oak Sage
    the pets are certainly no pushovers and they survive surprisingly well. The zoo has two tasks of utmost importance. First keep the merc alive and second keep the Spirit alive. With
    Oak Sage
    the merc has 5k life, the Spirit wolves 1.7k life, the dire wolves 3.1k and the bear almost 9k. I only summon them at the beginning of my p8
    Terror
    zone runs. A few wolves might die but that’s about it. The merc basically never dies and the Spirit occasionally.
  • The remaining 29 points you put into the synergies for
    Fire Claws
    (elemental tree).
My gear
  • Weapon: The runeword Death in an ethereal
    Decapitator
    or
    Glorious Axe
    is the best choice (though the ethereal
    Glorious Axe
    is likely the best because of longer reach and less strength requirements). Because of the might aura from the merc and the mark of the bear from the Metamorphosis you will hit with 6 frames which is the fastest possible as a bear.
  • Amulet: Highlords
  • Rings: Bul-Khatos and a
    Carrion Wind
    . The latter is needed because of the “damage goes to mana” mod. Otherwise you will sometimes attack a super unique monster which has manaburn with your normal attack. The high life leech is also needed.
  • Belt
    :
    Arachnid Mesh
    because of the plus skill and the faster cast rate. You need at least 20% faster cast rate for shockwave imo, otherwise it is very slow.
  • In the inventory I am using a
    Flame Rift
    charm. Also six shapeshifting skillers and one summoning skiller.
Gameplay

Summon your minions and Spirit and then head into battle and
Charge
up your
Maul
. With the first hit you get the mark of the bear (25% ias and 20% damage reduction). Whats nice about this build is that you do not need the bonuses from the mark of the wolf because they are neglectable and don't move the needle very much. I have never tested it but I assume you would also lose your
Maul
charges when refreshing the mark of the wolf in wolf form so that is a no go.
Battle Orders
are also not needed. When
Maul
is charged up switch between
Fire Claws
and
Maul
the rest of the way. Make sure to never lose your
Maul
charges during a run. I am hitting about 2/3 of the time with
Fire Claws
and about 1/3 with
Maul
. The last monsters of a pack you should hit with
Maul
in order to not lose your charges until you encounter the next monsters. Fire immune and weak monsters you should hit with
Maul
in order to
Charge
up
Maul
efficiently. All unique or super unique monsters you hit with
Fire Claws
(one of the two damage types will inflict damage). Only in very rare cases a monster “wants to play tough”. This is for example hephasto,
The Cow King
or a
Council Member
when they spawn with the mods Stone skin and magic/fire resistance. Then you switch to the mang song's staff (this does not kill the monster very fast but gets the job done quite well imo).

There is one overarching rule. Keep
Oak Sage
up at all times. The Spirit does not die much and survives imo way better than HoW but when he does die stop mauling/clawing and resummon him. The exception is of course boss fights etc. Use shockwave to help out your zoo, Spirit, merc and for crowd control in genereal. Furthermore always remember that attack is your best defense. Otherwise simply use
Maul
and
Fire Claws
for shredding everything to pieces. Ghost go down with two hits also souls go down way faster with
Fire Claws
as well as many other monster types. The clear speed simply improves quite a bit as you can imagine.

Having played the maulbear for quite some time which I greatly enjoyed, the addition of a workable
Fire Claws
is just awesome. I only play players 8
Terror
zones. My
Werebear
never dies as well as my merc. Those of you who have played the maulbear should try this build out. I think you might enjoy it as well.

Here is the build with godly gear at maxroll: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/uf5cg0i2

Here is my gear which works perfectly fine: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/n747j0iq

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello fellow
Werebear
players,

Since the beginning of past year, I have been on quite a journey with the
Werebear
. I think those of you who play the
Maul
Werebear
might be interested in my endgame build below. I have not seen a build guide for this build so maybe it is new but of course I do not know for sure. I play single player offline. This build is players 8
Terror
zone viable and basically shreds everything to pieces (and I mean everything, even ghosts and physical immunes). With a few tweaks I think it might also be hardcore viable.

This build has a workable
Fire Claws
on top of
Maul
(with gg 101k dps physical with a 15% ed ethereal
Decapitator
or
Glorious Axe
and optional plus 44k dps fire). I came up with the idea when I made the Faith bow for my act 1 merc. Previously I had played the whole game with HoW and strong summons. I then thought to myself that the merc better not die in this setup so I went for
Oak Sage
. Also, I believe that the quicker you kill the monsters with the
Werebear
, the better it is for the survival of the whole party. Therefore, the whole zoo is now a one point wonder and I put the points instead into
Fire Claws
and its synergies. It is a total team effort of your party but it works perfectly well together. It feels like you are just dominating the game. I will start with the act 1 merc since this build is kind of build around her.

Act 1 merc:
  • Cold Arrow
    : freezes and slows down targets, thus helping out your whole party
  • Inner Sight
    : she casts it all the time and this reduces the defense of monsters significantly (my
    Werebear
    therefore does not have any problems hitting stuff)
  • Gear: Faith bow for the fanatism aura, Hustle armor for faster run/walk in order for her to keep up with you (works awesome!) and she also gets the skill
    Evade
    from Hustle, vampires gaze for life leech and damage reduction socketed with a cold facet.
Stats: Strength to wear gear. Dex I invested 200 points so when the merc is sometimes not nearby you still hit monsters at a good rate. Plus you will get a high health pool as a
Werebear
anyway. The rest in vitality.

Skill points distribution
  • summoning: One point in all the animals. Twelve points in
    Oak Sage
    . This with skills on gear gives
    Oak Sage
    a life pool of 1.6k which is kind of a sweet spot for his survival based on my experiences and plus 175% life for the whole party. This is sufficient and works great. With the plus skills on gear and one summoning charm skiller the pets have 80% resistances (85% is the max). With the additional life from
    Oak Sage
    the pets are certainly no pushovers and they survive surprisingly well. The zoo has two tasks of utmost importance. First keep the merc alive and second keep the Spirit alive. With
    Oak Sage
    the merc has 5k life, the Spirit wolves 1.7k life, the dire wolves 3.1k and the bear almost 9k. I only summon them at the beginning of my p8
    Terror
    zone runs. A few wolves might die but that’s about it. The merc basically never dies and the Spirit occasionally.
  • The remaining 29 points you put into the synergies for
    Fire Claws
    (elemental tree).
My gear
  • Weapon: The runeword Death in an ethereal
    Decapitator
    or
    Glorious Axe
    is the best choice (though the ethereal
    Glorious Axe
    is likely the best because of longer reach and less strength requirements). Because of the might aura from the merc and the mark of the bear from the Metamorphosis you will hit with 6 frames which is the fastest possible as a bear.
  • Amulet: Highlords
  • Rings: Bul-Khatos and a
    Carrion Wind
    . The latter is needed because of the “damage goes to mana” mod. Otherwise you will sometimes attack a super unique monster which has manaburn with your normal attack. The high life leech is also needed.
  • Belt
    :
    Arachnid Mesh
    because of the plus skill and the faster cast rate. You need at least 20% faster cast rate for shockwave imo, otherwise it is very slow.
  • In the inventory I am using a
    Flame Rift
    charm. Also six shapeshifting skillers and one summoning skiller.
Gameplay

Summon your minions and Spirit and then head into battle and
Charge
up your
Maul
. With the first hit you get the mark of the bear (25% ias and 20% damage reduction). Whats nice about this build is that you do not need the bonuses from the mark of the wolf because they are neglectable and don't move the needle very much. I have never tested it but I assume you would also lose your
Maul
charges when refreshing the mark of the wolf in wolf form so that is a no go.
Battle Orders
are also not needed. When
Maul
is charged up switch between
Fire Claws
and
Maul
the rest of the way. Make sure to never lose your
Maul
charges during a run. I am hitting about 2/3 of the time with
Fire Claws
and about 1/3 with
Maul
. The last monsters of a pack you should hit with
Maul
in order to not lose your charges until you encounter the next monsters. Fire immune and weak monsters you should hit with
Maul
in order to
Charge
up
Maul
efficiently. All unique or super unique monsters you hit with
Fire Claws
(one of the two damage types will inflict damage). Only in very rare cases a monster “wants to play tough”. This is for example hephasto,
The Cow King
or a
Council Member
when they spawn with the mods Stone skin and magic/fire resistance. Then you switch to the mang song's staff (this does not kill the monster very fast but gets the job done quite well imo).

There is one overarching rule. Keep
Oak Sage
up at all times. The Spirit does not die much and survives imo way better than HoW but when he does die stop mauling/clawing and resummon him. The exception is of course boss fights etc. Use shockwave to help out your zoo, Spirit, merc and for crowd control in genereal. Furthermore always remember that attack is your best defense. Otherwise simply use
Maul
and
Fire Claws
for shredding everything to pieces. Ghost go down with two hits also souls go down way faster with
Fire Claws
as well as many other monster types. The clear speed simply improves quite a bit as you can imagine.

Having played the maulbear for quite some time which I greatly enjoyed, the addition of a workable
Fire Claws
is just awesome. I only play players 8
Terror
zones. My
Werebear
never dies as well as my merc. Those of you who have played the maulbear should try this build out. I think you might enjoy it as well.

Here is the build with godly gear at maxroll: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/uf5cg0i2

Here is my gear which works perfectly fine: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/n747j0iq
Nice thanks!
I will consider doing this.
I think trying out Delirium for the merc instead of vamp might be cool, the like manic pixie merc that had a build post here sometime ago.
My only gripe with this is that you have no aoe whatsoever. I'll have to try this at some point.
This is very nice! Thank you, OP!

Much needed help to improve my fireclaws -
Maul
- Shockwave druid where I am currently facing these problems/thoughts:

- Heart of the Wolverine dying all the time (curious to see whether
Oak Sage
really stays alive more)
- Merc is good (A2 with
The Reaper's Toll
etc.) but I haven't thought about using the A1 merc for a change
- I'm level 81 but still eat a LOT of damage even in Act 2 Hell p1 sometimes...

Let's see! :)
oh, and for @or.houster:
I have Delirium on another merc and it's just great. The lolzies from the morphing wear off quickly, but due to the monsters getting confused, it adds a lot of safety. Sometimes happily chilling in
Baal
's throneroom with one last confused monster happily standing around.
OP
I did some fine tuning of the build and swapped the
Carrion Wind
ring with a second Bul-Kathos ring and swapped the one summoning skiller in the inventory with another shapeshifting skiller. I think I overstimated the need for "damage taken goes to mana" from the
Carrion Wind
. I did not experience any problems yet with this set-up when facing uniques or super uniques with manaburn. Plus the short
Stun
from the
Twister
procs of the Carriona Wind overwrites the long
Stun
from shockwave. The zoo stays basically the same but you get two additional skill points for your main damage skills
Werebear
Maul
and
Fire Claws
. With the second Bul-Kathos the build feels even more powerful.

With godly gear and taking into account the
Inner Sight
from the rogue merc
Maul
now has 106k dps.
Fire Claws
(which consists of the 106k
Maul
damage plus 48k fire damage) now has a total of 154k damage. Not bad in my opinion, in particlar when taking into account that the
Werebear
is uninteruptable and does not nead the mark of the wolf buff nor
Battle Orders

I think this is the way to go in order maximze the full potential of the
Maul
Werebear

Link to build: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/b13u0ww6

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...