Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   333 views

Description

Just started an offline playthrough. I am curious, is there any tangible advantage to toggling /players 8 when farming say,
Mephisto
<insert act boss>? I understand /players 8 for high-density farming in say, the
Secret Cow Level
. Don't know what the advantage is for boss/superuniques.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Just started an offline playthrough. I am curious, is there any tangible advantage to toggling /players 8 when farming say,
Mephisto
<insert act boss>? I understand /players 8 for high-density farming in say, the
Secret Cow Level
. Don't know what the advantage is for boss/superuniques.
Answeredby Schnorki2 months agoGo to post
In simplest terms, higher /players = better.

In less simple terms:
- Every player count increase ups the XP yield
- Every player count decreases nodrop, so long as those extra players are real, partied and nearby
- Should extra players not be real players, partied and nearby, nodrop only decreases for every other (odd) player count (so at 3, 5 and 7)
- /players X sets a simulated player count in the game overall, i.e. NOT real, partied and nearby. As such, /players X also only decreases nodrop at X = 3, 5 and 7

Nodrop (simplifying) effectively tells you the likelihood of something not dropping something. That is a higher nodrop means higher odds of not getting a drop (or at least not as many drops off the same kill). As higher player count decreases nodrop, it subsequently increases the odds of getting loot since lower odds of not getting something inherently means higher odds of getting something.

As such, higher player count effectively improves your drop count for all mobs/drop tables that are affected by nodrop.
There are exceptions to this as some mobs/mob types have a set number of things they drop (champs, Us, SUs, ubers, dclone) but specific to this topic, act bosses are NOT an exception so going to /p7 for meph and the like does benefit your drop count.

Mind you, that's all still kind of the semi-simple version. There's a few intricacies and 'exceptions' to the whole thing, as usual, especially when considering special drop table options (e.g. countess) where you may well actually be better off at lower counts.

Necrarch 1612Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
At least the XP bonus, I think. For the drops part, I let others talk, I am not sure enough.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
OP
Necrarch wrote: 2 months ago
At least the XP bonus, I think. For the drops part, I let others talk, I am not sure enough.
True I omitted the additional XP apologies... I am referring to drops specifically in my question :).
It is said that at least rune drop chance increases for higher /players values: https://www.purediablo.com/diablo-2/dia ... %2029.5%25

EDIT: ahhh, sorry. I just noticed you are specifically asking about the boss-kills. Please ignore my post.

EDIT2: according to the "Best Single Sources to Find Specific Top 10 Runes" chapter on the linked site the /players number do affect the rune drop chance, including the boss kills.
i think drops increase on players 3, 5, & 7.

something about reducing chance of no-drop on each kill

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
In simplest terms, higher /players = better.

In less simple terms:
- Every player count increase ups the XP yield
- Every player count decreases nodrop, so long as those extra players are real, partied and nearby
- Should extra players not be real players, partied and nearby, nodrop only decreases for every other (odd) player count (so at 3, 5 and 7)
- /players X sets a simulated player count in the game overall, i.e. NOT real, partied and nearby. As such, /players X also only decreases nodrop at X = 3, 5 and 7

Nodrop (simplifying) effectively tells you the likelihood of something not dropping something. That is a higher nodrop means higher odds of not getting a drop (or at least not as many drops off the same kill). As higher player count decreases nodrop, it subsequently increases the odds of getting loot since lower odds of not getting something inherently means higher odds of getting something.

As such, higher player count effectively improves your drop count for all mobs/drop tables that are affected by nodrop.
There are exceptions to this as some mobs/mob types have a set number of things they drop (champs, Us, SUs, ubers, dclone) but specific to this topic, act bosses are NOT an exception so going to /p7 for meph and the like does benefit your drop count.

Mind you, that's all still kind of the semi-simple version. There's a few intricacies and 'exceptions' to the whole thing, as usual, especially when considering special drop table options (e.g. countess) where you may well actually be better off at lower counts.
This post was marked as the best answer.
For XP gain, some bosses will not give extra XP after some /playersX
For Diablo
Cap
is 7 and
Baal
is 3
https://maxroll.gg/d2/resources/experience -> Experience
Cap

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation