Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
15 replies   1663 views

Description

I built a new dedicated Smiter recently, but he is currently not using a Merc. I was using my Hdin for double duty (one point into
Smite
and
Fanaticism
) but got tired of the gear and charm swapping. My hdin uses an Act 2
Holy Freeze
Merc with
Eth
Fort,
Eth
CV Insight, and Andy visage with a
Ral
. He dies 50% of the time to Lillity and 100% of the time to Ubers. So, when I made a Smiter I never bothered with a Merc.
I've looked around but can't find a merc build for Ubers that can actually survive. Everything I can find recommends the build I already have with my hdin. Can you fine folk recommend a merc and BiS build? Smiter does just fine solo, so I don't care what act the merc comes from.

Can be used to make Runewords:

I built a new dedicated Smiter recently, but he is currently not using a Merc. I was using my Hdin for double duty (one point into
Smite
and
Fanaticism
) but got tired of the gear and charm swapping. My hdin uses an Act 2
Holy Freeze
Merc with
Eth
Fort,
Eth
CV Insight, and Andy visage with a
Ral
. He dies 50% of the time to Lillity and 100% of the time to Ubers. So, when I made a Smiter I never bothered with a Merc.
I've looked around but can't find a merc build for Ubers that can actually survive. Everything I can find recommends the build I already have with my hdin. Can you fine folk recommend a merc and BiS build? Smiter does just fine solo, so I don't care what act the merc comes from.

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.

Rik 132

Americas PC
I’m spit ball’n bc I have little experience with Ubers but would
Azurewrath
be useful? I think it could be great crowd control for undead monsters without overriding
Life Tap
proc. Last Wish could be nice also, though the blind could be counterproductive. And so expensive assuming price is being considered. Maybe even Lawbringer assuming you can sustain a bit without lifetap, decrep proc would make for light work of Ubers when factoring in the Ubers physical resistance. I’m assuming it’s around 50 percent in which decrep would double the impact of crushing blow very roughly halving kill speed while also slowing Uber cast and attack rate.

I’m curious too bc I intend to enter the Uber world this wknd. I might try and rough it at first, but should probably secure a spotter on these forums in case I screw myself over. Bc it’ll probably be lifetap
Wand
Gorefoot
, gface,
Blood Belt
, Gloves and a
Diamond
gemmed pally shield if I want to complete them by Sunday ha.

I’ve seen YouTube videos of mercs “soloing” Ubers, both act 2 and 5. Each requires a source of
Life Tap
from merc proc or player assist.
My $0.02 on the weapons for my
Frenzy
barb I use against ubers. The main weapon is a BotD ethereal
Berserk
Axe
. In the other hand I started with a Lawbringer PB that right off the bat served me well. I've gone through
Azurewrath
, Beast
Berserker Axe
, Doom
Berserker Axe
, Death
Berserker Axe
, and every time I come back to Lawbringer for fighting in
Uber Tristram
and against
Lilith
. It's rarely an issue when
Dracul's Grasp
lifetap gets overridden by Lawbringer's
Decrepify
, that can be easily remedied with a
Full Rejuvenation Potion
. Lawbringer's
Decrepify
makes things easier and faster to put down
Lilith
and
Uber Mephisto
. Against the rest of them a Beast works fine too. I did make a Last Wish
Berserker Axe
once back in LoD, and it turned out to be a major disappointment. I may make one in D2R sometime later, when there would be nothing better to do.
OP
bigbikefan wrote: 1 month ago
Frenzy
Berserk
Axe
. In the other hand I started with a Lawbringer PB that right off the bat served me well. I've gone through
Azurewrath
, Beast
Berserker Axe
, Doom
Berserker Axe
, Death
Berserker Axe
Uber Tristram
and against
Lilith
Dracul's Grasp
Decrepify
Full Rejuvenation Potion
. Lawbringer's
Decrepify
Lilith
and
Uber Mephisto
Berserker Axe
once back in LoD, and it turned out to be a major disappointment. I may make one in D2R sometime later, when there would be nothing better to do.
The
Frenzy
barb you are referring to, is that your character or your act5 merc? My smiter himself handles Uber's just fine, its the merc im struggling with. He just...dies, every run. Sometimes before even getting to
Uber Tristram

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.

Rik 132

Americas PC
bigbikefan wrote: 1 month ago
Frenzy
Berserk
Axe
Azurewrath
, Beast
Berserker Axe
, Doom
Berserker Axe
, Death
Berserker Axe
Uber Tristram
and against
Lilith
Dracul's Grasp
Decrepify
Full Rejuvenation Potion
. Lawbringer's
Decrepify
Lilith
and
Uber Mephisto
Berserker Axe
Interesting. Looking more deeply into Lawbringer, the -50 percent defense is huge. If it doesn’t challenge persisting as long as rejuvs are available then
Decrepify
is more a feature than bug.

I am perplexed by botd testing well. For
Frenzy
, of which the ias breakpoints of unfamiliar with, I could see the 60 ias coming in handy and I suppose the 30 to attributes doesn’t hurt neither the -25 target defense but I’d imagine a high ias + crushing blow weapon to be superior. Even a Death in a
Phase Blade
or even better and more budget, Kingslayer.

For op purposes, I guess it comes down to whether the smaller health pool of pally can subsist on rejuvs alone during the periods in which decrep is proct.

Rik 132

Americas PC
Or wait it’s strictly about the merc, in which case proct decrep could be a problem for the mercs survival.

A little off topic but has anyone experimented with the
Crainte Vomir
on act 5 merc? I’ve always wanted a use for the thing and it’s possible an ethereal upped version coupled with Lawbringer could neuter the Ubers. Depending on max slow which I think was recently discussed in forums but I didn’t read it…

Rik 132

Americas PC
Rik wrote: 1 month ago
Or wait it’s strictly about the merc, in which case proct decrep could be a problem for the mercs survival.

A little off topic but has anyone experimented with the
Crainte Vomir
on act 5 merc? I’ve always wanted a use for the thing and it’s possible an ethereal upped version coupled with Lawbringer could neuter the Ubers. Depending on max slow which I think was recently discussed in forums but I didn’t read it…
Ah darn it. Two handed, nvm :(
For my dedicated smiter, the merc is a plus so I gear him in a way where I don't need him but if he's around, I want him to buff me. So far, I'm liking 2x LW to get higher lvl might on my smiting. It's all about positioning though, I need to stand between him and
Lilith
same with meph and he'll survive most of the time.

He's act 5
Frenzy
with 2x Last Wish, testing
Eth
Guardian Angel
for extra resists atm, and
Eth
Arreat's Face
with
Cham

I do notice a slight clear speed increase with the extra might buff on me.

azeroti#1149
PC or PS
Selling Ber/Jah, click for wish list.
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
run on PS, accepting tips. Details
Knappogue wrote: 1 month ago

The
Frenzy
barb you are referring to, is that your character or your act5 merc? My smiter himself handles Uber's just fine, its the merc im struggling with. He just...dies, every run. Sometimes before even getting to
Uber Tristram
Yeah, probably shot in the dark with my $0.02 as I don't rely much on my barb's mercenary rogue for ubers. It's worth mentioning she survives well with little to no attention against all but
Uber Mephisto
. The only gripe I have for her is, sometimes when getting engaged in a bout with
Uber Duriel
she just stands or walks around doing absolutely nothing else until the bout is over.
OP
azeroti wrote: 1 month ago
For my dedicated smiter, the merc is a plus so I gear him in a way where I don't need him but if he's around, I want him to buff me. So far, I'm liking 2x LW to get higher lvl might on my smiting. It's all about positioning though, I need to stand between him and
Lilith
same with meph and he'll survive most of the time.

He's act 5
Frenzy
with 2x Last Wish, testing
Eth
Guardian Angel
for extra resists atm, and
Eth
Arreat's Face
with
Cham

I do notice a slight clear speed increase with the extra might buff on me.
Hmmm, I'm gathering that an Act5 Merc is going to be the best option for merc survivability. Yea the merc is a bonus. I dont want the hassle of him dying within the first 5 seconds of ubers and then spending 50k gold each time for nothing.

For a Merc to survive ubers I'd presume an Act 5
Frenzy
is the best option yeah.
It has the fast attack-speed that gives it a chance to get the most out of
Life Tap
, which I'd presume is the only way it could work.
-For that reason I'd stay away from everything that interferes with
Life Tap
, even for a bit. That means no Last Wish or Lawbringer.

For gear I'd guess you at least want 1x
Azurewrath
to get
Sanctuary Aura
, and I'd guess Chains of Honor and
Cham
'ed
Arreat's Face
to overstack the resistance against meph
Conviction
aura.

The intersting question is what to pick for a second weapon. That seems a lot less clear to me.
Azurewrath
has the attack-speed to function well in main-hand so there are a lot of options:
-Grief /
Headstriker
for top damage.
-Crescent Moon for the static proc.
-Death for Crushing blow and deadly strike (probably my favorite).
assuming u provide the
Life Tap
-
Sazabi's Grand Tribute +
Azurewrath
OP
Goggen wrote: 1 month ago
Life Tap
How does Last Wish interfear with
Life Tap
? The Hit Blinds Target?

OP
krathkor wrote: 1 month ago
assuming u provide the
Life Tap
-
Sazabi's Grand Tribute +
Azurewrath
If I proc
Life Tap
, does it count for me merc too?

krathkor wrote: 1 month ago
assuming u provide the
Life Tap
-
Sazabi's Grand Tribute +
Azurewrath
If I proc
Life Tap
, does it count for me merc too?
Life Tap
is a curse, so it works for anyone who attacks the monster affected by the curse.
Goggen wrote: 1 month ago
Life Tap
How does Last Wish interfear with
Life Tap
? The Hit Blinds Target?
Yes.
Actually the Merc
Taunt
override curses too, but is not a issue for Ubers, as it do not affect super uniques.

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation